TSG Conference Bursaries
The TSG supports students and Early Career Researcher attendance at conferences by providing up to £500 bursary for e.g. conference registration fees, travel, accommodation and subsistence. Up to 6 bursaries are awarded each year. You can read accounts from previous bursary winners here.
Information for applicants
There are two deadlines for judging bursary applications: 1st February and 1st October. Applications are welcome any time before these dates (see how to apply below).
Two bursaries will be awarded from each cohort of applications. The awards are aimed at PhD and postgrad students, but not exclusively so – Early Career Researchers (within 3 years of completing their PhD) may also apply.
The TSG secretary will notify you of the committee’s decision within 4 weeks of the deadlines. Given these timescales, we recommend applying for bursaries well in advance of the conference you wish to attend.
How to apply
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Are giving an oral or poster presentation at the conference
- Are undertaking exciting and scientifically important research relevant to tectonics and structural geology.
- Appreciate how attending the conference will specifically benefit them and their research.
- Have engaged with TSG previously, e.g. attended and preferably presented at a TSG conference.
- Do not have other funding mechanisms to support conference attendance.
The conference should also provide an appropriate environment for dissemination of the applicant’s research, and the costs proposed should be reasonable.
Conditions of the award
We ask bursary award winners to prepare a short article for the TSG website about the conference. The article should be sent to the TSG Secretary within 4 weeks of the conference. You can read accounts from previous bursary winners here.
Once the article has been submitted, and receipts have been sent to the TSG treasurer, you will be sent a cheque to the value of the award.