We are pleased to announce that TSG are organising a field-trip for next year! In line with the Geological Society of London’s theme for 2017 – the Year of Risk – we’ll be heading out to Death Valley, California to see a range of geological hazards.
- The dates for the trip are the 11th to the 21st April 2017.
- As always, anyone is welcome to attend the fieldtrip, which may be of particular interest for those who wish to learn more about tectono-volcanic processes, tectono-sedimentary processes, the Basin and Range/ San Andreas system, or simply those who are interested in learning more about all these things or doing some first-class geo-tourism (not to mention soaking up some California sun).
- The cost of the trip is £500 per person. The cost covers accommodation (mostly in motels)and local transport (by minibus), but participants are responsible for arranging travel to LAX international airport, and for their own insurance/subsistence during the trip.
- To register for the fieldtrip, an initial deposit of £100 must be paid. Please note that registration will close on Tuesday January 17th 2017 (midnight, GMT). You pay and register via the Portsmouth online shop: http://onlinestore.port.ac.uk/
The fieldtrip is limited to approx. 16 places. While places won’t quite be allocated on a first-come-first-served, earlier registrations / applications will be considered more favourably. To avoid disappointment, we therefore recommend that you pay your registration fee asap.
TSG are offering a limited number of bursaries to the value of £400 for PhD/ECRs. Those who are awarded the bursary will need to pay a deposit of £100 to secure their place. To apply for the bursary, applicants will need to fill out and submit an application form. You can download this form already from the link below. Please be aware that your application will not be considered until the deadline for early-registration closes on Tuesday January 17th 2017 (midnight, GMT). Those wishing to apply for the PhD/ECR award will then need to fill out the attached form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with “2017 Death Valley” in the subject at the same time as registering/paying the deposit.
- The TSG committee will let applicants know by the start of February whether they have successfully secured a place on the trip (or otherwise). For those not receiving a TSG bursary, the final balance must then be paid by Friday 17th February. The deposit will be returned to any unsuccessful applicants following this date.
More information to follow…
We hope to see you soon in sunny California!
Cheers, Phil Benson & Derek Rust (University of Portsmouth).
TSG-Fieldtrip_Bursary_Application_Form-2016 (right-click and choose “Save As”)
NEW!! California outline 2017_v1 (right-click and choose “Save As”)